Easy gear shifting is one of the first points in auto diagnostics. Autoblog picked up some of the most common checkpoint problems that annoy drivers, and found out the most probable causes of these malfunctions.
A fault in the gearbox is diagnosed very simply – the smoothness of gear shifting is violated. But besides this, there may be other symptoms indicating that something is wrong with the car.
Spontaneous shutdown may be caused by such reasons:
- worn synchronizer rings or clutch teeth;
- worn balls or socket rods;
- the elasticity of the retainer springs has decreased.
If arise difficulty turning on gearboxes:
- clogged rod sockets move tight, which can cause locking crackers to jam;
- the spherical joint is stuck;
- deformation of the shift lever or shift fork could cause the shift to pop.
Oil leak testifies:
- worn shaft seals;
- due to wear on the gasket, oil may leak through slots;
- loose at the clutch and gearbox joints.
Noise in the gearbox may be caused by:
- bearings, synchronizer or gears are worn out;
- the oil level has fallen or impurities have appeared in the oil;
- axial play.
In case of gearbox overheating options are much less. The only reason for this malfunction is the low oil level..
Avoiding unexpected breakdowns is always easier than repairing them, so do not neglect preventive maintenance inspections..
How to handle the DSG gearbox
How to handle the DSG gearbox How to handle the DSG gearbox Although the dual-clutch transmission is very similar to an automatic transmission, there are…
Why do we need a gearbox and its types
Manual gearbox The gearbox is an essential device that every car needs.. Why do I need a gearbox ? Its need is due to the fact that the engine has a…
Direct shift gearbox (dual clutch) DSG from Volkswagen and Audi S-tronic
Direct shift gearbox (dual clutch) DSG from Volkswagen and Audi S-tronic Direct shift gearbox (dual clutch) DSG from Volkswagen and Audi S-tronic…
Dual clutch gearbox or DSG operation
Dual clutch gearbox or DSG operation Dual clutch gearbox or DSG operation Many of us know that there are two main types of gearboxes: mechanical, when…