How to drive a car in the winter season?
According to statistics, in the winter season, the number of traffic jams and road traffic accidents increases on the roads. Driving a car is overshadowed by such troubles as snowfall, which worsens visibility, as well as snow rolls and ice, fraught with the danger of drifts. Unfortunately, the safety of each particular car depends on all participants in the movement, but observing the elementary rules of driving in the winter, each driver can contribute to the overall road safety:
- Servicing a car in winter should be given more effort and time than in summer. Window lifters and wipers in the cold should be used with caution, because due to temperature differences they can freeze to the glass or damage it with ice crumbs.
- Be sure to fasten your seat belts! This is hackneyed and such simple advice can save a life! Moreover, it is relevant all year round. But it is in the winter that belts are the real “keepers” of everyone present in the car.
- Do not save on tires! Some car owners naively believe that they will be able to get by with “shoes” only for driving wheels, or buying used tires. Experts strongly do not recommend doing this! The quality of already “rolled” tires can be average at best, which does not guarantee the predictable behavior of the car on slippery roads. And you won’t get rid of ice with two wheels.
- Do not forget about headlights and dimensions! Riding in winter with the dipped beam on means significantly increasing your own safety on the road. Dimensions also help other road users to see a car parked at the side of the road, for example.
- Reduce speed! This advice applies to winter in general, and not to individual situations. Firstly, braking on a slippery road is much slower. Secondly, it’s more difficult to fit into turns. But at a lower speed than usual, no problems should arise..
- Increase the distance! This advice, again, is based on a longer braking distance, and the possibility of skidding cars.
- Particular care should be taken before traffic lights and crossings. Slow down and stop, even if the pedestrian manages to cross the road, due to the possibility of people falling in slippery areas, or the emergence of other unpredictable situations.
- If you are a “newbie”, and this is your first winter as a driver, then you can practice on open, empty and snowy sections of the road! Such training will help to understand how your car behaves on the winter road, so that after you drive it without panic, and minimize the possibility of any damage.
We hope that these simple tips will help you reduce the number of unpleasant situations on the road, and enjoy driving in any weather conditions..
How to drive a car in the rain – Driving a car – A variety of tips for motorists – Everything for a car in St. Petersburg
How to drive a car in the rain For an inexperienced driver who has recently received a driver’s license, driving in bad weather conditions such as heavy…
How to drive a car in ice There are a number of rules for driving a car during icy conditions, as well as other useful tips, the implementation of which…
ABCs of winter roads Ice, snow drifts, ruts – such a road awaits the driver in winter even on the streets of the city, on which we should always feel…
The nuances of driving a car in winter – Driving a car – A variety of tips for motorists – Everything for a car in St. Petersburg
The nuances of driving a car in winter With the onset of winter, the motorist becomes more attentive, since riding in the snow is much more dangerous….