I, like many of my peers, have always been interested in the question in childhood: who is stronger, a whale or an elephant. But then no one was able to explain to the child which of them would win if they suddenly happened. Then the question arose about the tiger and the lion. And again the unknown. So still I do not know who is better to be in the next life, the strongest in the taiga or the most formidable in the shroud. And now – about the same question about executive cars. Which is better, Japanese Lexus or German Mercedes? In general, it is clear that this article will not dissuade the owners of Mercedes or the owners of Lexus that their car is the best. But still, after all, I want to clarify who is the most-most.
It so happened that, at least in the Far East, people do not really like Mercedes. Maybe because these machines are the visiting card of the authorities, the attitude towards which in Russia has always been “specific”. Maybe because almost all “authorities” and “businessmen” drive this brand of cars, which is sometimes the same thing. Maybe some more. But my friends when asked what you would like to have, a Mercedes or Lexus, if you chose a Mercedes, then only to “speak” for a couple of days and immediately sell it. And buy two or three used Lexus cars. Of course, all these friends drive Japanese cars and have long been accustomed to certain amenities in their operation. The fact that for a Western Russian on another novelty from Germany is a revelation, for example, a pressure monitoring system in wheels, for the Far East is the norm, and for many years, even if his car is not representative. At the same time, I want to note that these friends of mine did drive Western cars, including the Mercedes 500, 600 series. Therefore, they have their own opinions on these cars. Most of them, expressing this opinion, answered something like this. Yes, Mercedes is a good car, but sitting in it is less pleasant than, for example, in the same Lexus. Why? Yes, because there, in the cabin, everything was done “like an elephant”, almost all the buttons are somehow inaccurate and uncomfortable, the panels are rude, and in the luxurious salon, you feel like in the reception of the boss: warm, light, soft but I don’t want to sit. That’s how they all answered. So, Mercedes has no comfort in the cabin, as most Far Easterners think, which, I repeat, has been spoiled for a long time and to a large extent by Japanese cars. Moreover, the “right” cars, i.e. made in japan. By the way, it should be noted that the left-handed “Japanese” is only a parody of cars made for the domestic market of Japan, with which we will compare the 140th body of the Mercedes. But let’s continue. Then I decided that it was all a matter of habit, and over time you can get used to both the comb on the gear selector, and the “stupid” light switch, and, in the end, even to the salon. No wonder the authorities chose the Mercedes. And he made a decision, the same question: what do they have against Mercedes – ask auto repair specialists. Those who tried, at first, also unanimously declared, to drive a Lexus is more pleasant than in the 140th body. Well, then there were objections to Western technical machines. So, what we do not like, including the Mercedes.
· The use of a large number of PVC hoses on the machine, which “tan” over time and their further use are difficult. The “Japanese” all rubber and more durable.
· The use of a large number of plastic clips. The plastic ages and when dismantled, these clips tend to break off. In “Japanese women” in similar cases, screws or screws are used. Yes, in the opinion of domestic car mechanics, there are even too many of these screws; they are also installed where you can do without fasteners at all. But as a result, everything can be disassembled and assembled an infinite number of times and after many years.
· Electronic blocks are not signed. No, they have numbers and, if you have technical documentation, you can figure it out. But where to get this documentation in the Far East? In South Korea? But they won’t give her so easily. The “Japanese” electronic units also have different numbers, but, as a rule, there are also signatures. For example, “Computer, 4 WD Control” – everything at once and everyone understands without any databases. Even in a distant village, a dictionary will always be found. And not German, but English, which is much simpler.
· Use of a large number of one-time clamps. In order to remove the hose from a Mercedes, you need to have a bite of the clamp, but where to get another, new one? In Japanese women, all clamps are reusable. Therefore, if a leak occurs, for example, through a pipe, you can even remove the clamp, cut the hose and pull it into place even on the road. And use the old clamp again.
· The operation of all Western-made engines is somewhat reminiscent of the operation of the engine of our Volga. All cylinders seem to work the same way, but you can still hear tapping, “grunting”, some kind of vibration, i.e. the engine really WORKS. But such as the “Japanese”, when the WHISPERING engine, western cars, including the Mercedes, alas, never had.
· The electrical wiring is placed in polyvinyl chloride tubes (covers). What do you want to do if you need to see the color of the wire? Cut the case? And forever ruin the presentation? The Japanese women use detachable plastic covers, and opening any wiring harness is no problem. Then, using black electrical tape, you can restore everything so that no one will ever find any signs of interference.
· Once a Mercedes arrived in the 140th body, for which the door lock did not work. It turned out that the ashes from the cigarette fell into the slot near the back sofa and melted the vacuum tube on the door control. Do you say there’s nothing to smoke in the car? Well, since the control of the doors anyway (and there were such cases) would have failed for the simple reason that air with … dust is used there. On the one hand, any air filters can only reduce the amount of dust, but not eliminate it. In addition, in Russia with its directions, which we call roads, there has always been plenty of dust. On the other hand, in the vacuum lines, there is “internal” dust from wear of the vane pump. So regular maintenance of the door lock control system becomes mandatory. Japanese women do not have all this. In general, here it is not clear to me why German designers are so afraid of a fire when they hit the door. Previously, they made flux-cored wires, now vacuum control … And the “Japanese” as there were electric motors and electromagnets, they still are. And it seems that no short circuit occurs with the subsequent fire.
· The battery in the trunk – not very convenient. However, as under the rear seat and in front of the front wheel. True, the latter is no longer a Mercedes, but anyway, a car from the west.
· Why do German designers put metal screens on candlesticks? Interference? So the “Japanese” has no screens and there seems to be no interference. A broken candlestick at the Mercedes is full. As at the time, and in the domestic “eights”, which also used candle screens. How many problems did they bring when diagnosing the ignition system!
· Removing the dashboard from a Mercedes, even if you know-how, is much longer and more troublesome than a Japanese woman. In addition, the “Japanese” dashboard is attached only with screws and they are all the same, which is very convenient.
· “Mercedes” fasteners use “extra” sizes of bolts and nuts. Why do we need sizes of 11, 13, when there are 10 and 12? To confuse auto mechanics? Here are the Far Eastern auto mechanics and do not like Mercedes.
But what everyone was unanimous about was that it was good (though expensive) to fight on Mercedes. He is heavy and big. At one time, I myself attached the 140th body of the 600th (SEL, incidentally) “face” against a concrete wall. I can say that the car is sturdy, but the repair has become the cost of a still decent Lexus. At the same time, I had to change the entire panel (which was torn by a pillow, also a minus), change the windshield (it was also taken out by a pillow – a minus), although the wings and even one headlight remained intact. That is, the blow was not “heroic.” In a Lexus in the same situation, it would most likely crumble the entire “face” along with headlights and wings, but the windshield and panel, when the airbags were deployed, would not have to be changed.
The second thing that almost all car repairmen liked was the Mercedes chassis. Everyone came to the conclusion that the heavyweight of the body with an energy-intensive suspension makes moving in the car very comfortable..
The last noted plus of the Mercedes is noise isolation. In the cabin, nothing is heard from the street, but at the same time it is filled, albeit with weak, sounds of working mechanisms. The same engine, for example.
And the last, most important thing that can be “presented” to a Mercedes is its low reliability. Wanting to have a representative model of this brand in good condition, you will have to regularly visit specialized auto repair shops, which are simply not observed in towns, for example, in the Far East. With Lexus, too, you won’t “get sick,” but you will have to visit the same workshops much less often. Again, the conditions for servicing the Lexus in the towns of the Far East are immeasurably better than for any Western cars. All this also does not contribute to enhancing the love of the Far East to the reference model of the German automotive industry. And this dislike is expressed in a short phrase: “Mercedes – Mr. But!”.
Well, how, we got the answer to the question, who is still stronger: a whale or an elephant?
P. S. I hope you understand that the discussed Mercedes were in the 140th body, and the Lexus was Japanese, i.e. Toyota Celcior. We don’t remember about the cooler Toyota Centuri, which the emperor uses, since in Russia this model is practically unknown.
Comparison of Japanese and German cars in the CIS market Mercedes vs Lexus, Volkswagen vs Honda
Comparison of Japanese and German cars in the CIS market Mercedes vs Lexus, Volkswagen vs Honda Facing the choice of a car, we determine for ourselves…
The most famous car brands of German manufacturers
The most famous car brands of German manufacturers Every motorist knows that German cars are of good quality. Stamps are popular, but there are…
Mercedes SL63 AMG Roadster 2016
Mercedes SL63 AMG Roadster 2016 – a little secret! Not so long ago, directly in Germany, regular journalists opened the curtain on Mercedes’s…
Sale of used Mercedes cars – the rules and features of the independent sale of Mercedes cars
Used Mercedes cars for sale – tips and tricks for selling Mercedes cars Self-sale of used Mercedes cars – rules and tips When a car enthusiast decides…