Why burn inverters at 30 Prius
Before summer arrived in the Urals, 30 Priuses were massively taken to our hybrid service for repairs. Why? After all, it should be even more reliable than 20 Prius!
But in fact, in the first two weeks of the heat that hit the Urals, 30 Prius are leaders in the number of faults!
The main reasons for handling: failure of the air conditioning system and malfunction of the inverter.
But the cause of failure of these seemingly unrelated systems lies on the surface.
Let’s look at it as an example brought today from Tyumen Prius in a 30 body.
So what do we have?
The owner, Alexander, talks about the cause of the breakdown: he was driving around the city, didn’t touch anyone, was happy about the warm sunny day. Suddenly the car died out. On the monitor the inscription: “check the hybrid system.” All dances with a tambourine in the form of kicking on the wheel, rubbing the windshield and dropping the negative terminal did not lead to anything …
So the car and its owner were with us.
Diagnostic results are disappointing for the owner: the power module in the inverter has failed.
But if you stupidly replace the inverter with a working one, then in 99% of cases, if the cause of the inverter failure has not been established, then the new inverter will suffer the same fate. Therefore, our first and main task is to find the BASIC REASON for the inverter to fail..
First of all, we check the windings of the motor-generators for breakdown (we check the resistance of the windings to ground with a megger). The ringing results show that everything is okay with the windings..
We move on to the next, most common cause of failure of inverters.
What do you think it might be?
Right! Hybrid cooling system malfunction.
First of all, we remove and check the pump of the hybrid system. With her, everything is in order: it pumps well, the resistance of the winding is normal.
The next component of the cooling system is the radiator. It’s quite difficult to get close to it: you need to remove the front bumper, the active cruise control system (on models with this system). Remove the top bar of the TV.
We see the radiator of the hybrid system, which is located on the radiator of the air conditioner. Outside, radiator pollution does not seem critical at all:
But let’s split (split) the air conditioning and ICE radiators and take a look between them:
Here it is already clearly visible that the radiator of the hybrid system cannot work properly, since the radiator of the ICE has a dense curtain of dirt that prevents air from passing between the cells and cool the coolant (antifreeze).
The owner also said that he noticed that the air conditioner began to work much worse than last year. He was not so quickly creating a life-giving coolness in the cabin.
Let’s look even deeper between the radiators:
As we see, all the cells opposite the air conditioning radiator are also clogged with dirt, and at the bottom there is a mummified body of some kind of bird …
This is the reason for the failure of the second 30 Prius system in the heat – climate control system!
We clean the radiators (all three), install a new inverter and the car comes to life.
Only now the owner can be sure that the new inverter will serve faithfully for more than one year!
“Are the inverters currently installed on the prizes different from earlier versions, are they more protected from combustion or not?”
There are a lot of such questions (on the labeling and differences of inverters on the 30 Prius). Therefore, now I will try to classify them a little:
1. The very first inverter that was installed on all Priuses in a 30 body for all markets (Japan, Europe, America) was the G92AO-47030 inverter. It was produced (installed) on cars from April 2009 to July 2011.
2. Since August 2011, the G92AO-47031 inverter has been launched for all markets. Its fundamental difference from the previous one is in replacing some components with components of another manufacturer (Toyota explained this). It didn’t add any reliability. And it was released until December 2011, i.e. only 5 months.
3. He was replaced in December 2011 by the inverter G92AO-47040. In it, on the same elemental base, the fastening of the power module was changed. But he didn’t get better off from it, and they also burn with a “blue flame”. The Japanese understood this three months later (in March 2012)..
4. Then they went the other way and changed the manufacturer of the inverter. Another company started producing it under the contract and it is labeled G9200-49025. Inverters with this marking have been available since March 2012. For cars manufactured for the regions of Japan and America, these inverters are still installed..
5. But for Europe in January 2014, G9200-49065 inverters began to be produced. They began to be delivered as spare parts in Japan and America. In this inverter, the color marking of some wires is changed and the moisture protection is improved. But again, it didn’t add reliability much: how they failed, and so do.
6. The most recent inverter modification that I know today is the G9200-49075. This modification of inverters is installed at the factory on all Priuses issued for Europe since April 2014. In terms of reliability, I can only say one thing: we do not have such used cars in Russia yet, since these machines are not yet passable, but I know one case of the failure of such an inverter on a dealer car sold in Russia in November 2014. So the problem with the reliability of 30 inverters is not solved to this day.
Well, finally, the tip: Do not bring your iron horses to the point where you “get” to a completely cheap replacement inverter. After all, it’s much easier and cheaper to prevent this disease – to clean the radiators and check the entire cooling system before the hot summer season!
Without keyword If you and I began to consider problems with the cooling systems of hybrid cars, then let’s look at the most common problem with the…
Without keyword Here is this snow-white handsome: Its owner (let’s call him Ruslan) brought his handsome man to our Hybrid service straight from the…
Without keyword Toyota Camry car, 50 body, American, year of manufacture 2013. Winter is near – and the car owner began to try and check the climate…
Without keyword Replacing VVTi couplings, or how customers are deceived in car services Today, our guest is Andrey on the Prius in a 10 body. Andrey…